Government Programme Information
- Home •
- Government Programme Information
The Indian Government is divided into several departments and ministries in accordance to the functions that they perform. Some such ministries are the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Tourism, the Department of Agriculture, the Railway Department and so on.
Disability affairs come under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MSJE) in our country. The department website contains information about different schemes and proposals relating to people with disabilities. The link to the MSJE webpage which contains the following information is http://socialjustice.nic.in/schemespro3.php
- The details regarding the Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase / Fitting of Aids and Appliances (ADIP) scheme,
- the Scheme of National Awards for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities,
- the Scheme of National Scholarships for Persons with Disabilities,
- the Schemes arising out of the Implementation of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 and
- the Trust Fund for Empowerment of Persons With Disabilities are also given on the same page.
Detailed policies and guidelines of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995, which includes guidelines for getting a disability certificate and reservation in government posts for People with Disabilities, are also listed in the MSJE website. http://socialjustice.nic.in/policiesacts3.php
There are 8 National Institutes for People with Disabilities under the MSJE in our country. Details about these can be found in the link below: http://socialjustice.nic.in/orgdivisionunder3.php
The National Trust is an autonomous body under the MSJE which works for the welfare of people with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Intellectual Impairment and Multiple Disabilities.The link to their website is given below: http://www.thenationaltrust.co.in/nt/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
The Rehabilitation Council of India has also been in effect since 1986 and became a Statutory Body on 22 June 1993. The main objective of this body is to offer standardized training policies and programmes in the field of rehabilitation of persons with disabilities. The link to their website is given below: http://www.rehabcouncil.nic.in/forms/Sublink1.aspx?lid=798
There are also specific Concessions for People with Disabilities in India as mandated by the central and state governments. These can be found in the link below: http://www.rehabcouncil.nic.in/writereaddata/Appendices_5.pdf