Year Long Disability Awareness Campaign in 4 Delhi public Schools
- Home •
- Year Long Disability Awareness Campaign in 4 Delhi public Schools
Disability Awareness Campaign was successfully conducted from March 2015 to March 2016 in Delhi Public Schools Patna, Pune, Ludhiana, Coimbatore run and managed by Takshila Educational Society.
The phrase “Difference is in knowing” was coined by us to reinforce our theory that the root causes of misunderstanding disability are usually ignorance, misinformation, and lack of appropriate visibility to the world of persons with disabilities. We feel that a transition to a better understanding of this diverse group could be brought about through relevant education and exposure to disability.
. The campaign included
- interactions with people with disabilities,
- informational sessions about various disabilities ,
- simulation activities which give students an insight about what some disabilities feel like,
- annual day activities including plays highlighting characters with disabilities
- celebration of major International Days pertaining to disability issues.
- developing a magazine both for primary and secondary section with poems, stories, activities and puzzles on the topic of disability
- developing an ACCESS Game for secondary school students.
- infusing disability awareness lessons wherever possible and effective within the school curriculum
We are also helping to develop an awareness program for the faculty at the schools. This includes
- providing teachers with a learning disability simulation lab which sensitizes them to what struggling students go through during the school day
- assisting with activities to go with the regular Thursday assemblies for students
- workshops on appropriate people-first language and etiquette
We hope to end the year with a blueprint for a path forward with regard to future school engagement with students with disabilities.
World Sight Day Celebrations at Dps Coimbatore report
Throughout the year the students expressed creatively their views on Diversities in the display boards across the schools . Click here to view these expressions
Workshops were conducted for the entire academic community including students, teachers, ancillary staff, administrative staff and parents. Please enjoy the pictures
Celebrating Teachers Day differently at Delhi Public Schools Patna, Coimbatore, Ludhiana and Patna . Click here to view